The Six Steps to an Effective Lesson
1. Anticipatory Set. Let your students know what is coming and why they should learn it.
2. Stated Objective. Clearly state the outcomes. Example: “Students will be able to correctly identify a vertebrate.”
3. Teach or Model. Show, explain, demonstrate, or teach, the information or skill.
4. Guided Practice. The student will, under supervision, repeat the demonstration or lesson.
5. Independent Practice. Without assistance the student can repeat the demonstration or lesson.
6. Closure. What did we learn? What are the implications? The student can summarize the lesson.